When Life Sends You On A Journey

Sunday, April 14

Graduation....

I graduated High School in May 1985 -- at night, on the football field, under stadium lights (and the stars). I sat in the front row, of course, since we were in alphabetical order.... I sat next to someone else with the last name Bacon of all things.  I didn't even know who this person was, never had her in any classes.  Not related through my Grandpa Bacon, that's for sure.  Her name was Angie Bacon.  I will always remember that because I usually remembered everyone in my class.  The class of '85.   "Alive in '85!" I think was one of the mottoes of our graduating class.  

Now here's where you either get me or you don't.  My entire high school world was built on the premise that I was a smart kid and did well in my classes.  I didn't get straight A's like Kathy and Greg did, they were the Valedictorian and Salutatorian of our class.  But I did well, my GPA was in the high 3.6's, and believe it or not, I don't remember anymore what exactly it was.  I used to.  I do remember being 13th in the class of 222 graduates.  I was happy with that standing. 

Top 5% meant I got a couple small scholarships.  One to Northeast Missouri State University in Kirksville....which was changed in 1996 to Truman State University after President Harry S Truman.  I wanted to go onto Kirksville because it was known as the teaching university.  I also got a small scholarship to Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg.  I didn't know much about this university, it wasn't on my radar at all.  I loved that my parents were in the audience on the night the scholarships were given out and I got to go up there twice to get those handed to me.  But there were other plans in the works for the Fall and my goals and priorities would change...

What always bugged me though, was that I was never "the best" at anything.  I heard about others getting acknowledgment and accolades for their accomplishments.  I didn't.  At least not from my immediate family.  It hurt a lot.  It was like the hard work wasn't seen or known or cared about.    My FRIENDS' parents would acknowledge my accomplishments.  Guess where I liked to hang out more?  This was the downfall of my own future though.  Wanting praise from others, to fit in, to be heard, to be seen, to feel loved, to feel anything other than ignored or made fun of.  I was smart, just not the smartest....and that bugged me for a long time. 

As I knew would be the case, my diploma had the Mu Alpha Theta honors on it, and the National Honor Society honors on it.  I had to wear my National Honor Society yellow chords, as well as my cap and gown, like the rest of the graduates.  That all was so cool!   Art Holliday, newscaster at KSDK TV, spoke at our commencement.  He graduated from SCHS in 1972.  I hadn't known that, I just saw him on the NBC affiliate every night on TV.  I don't recall what he said, my mind was spinning at all the going's on that night.  Finally the time came for all of us graduates to move our tassels from one side to the other and then throw them caps in the air as new graduates after 13 years of education, we were graduates!  But soon after the fanfare came to a quick end for me.  Many of my classmates would celebrate with others into the night, I just went to find my parents and siblings and went back home...

Well that's not true, the fanfare lasted one more day.  My Mom invited all the relatives to the house for a graduation party.  I got tons of cards and lots of money, and plenty of good food.  

My friend Lori probably had a party too, I don't know.  She'd leave in the Fall to go to Junior college in Idaho.  And the other friends I saw in the clubs I was in, they all pretty much went their separate ways as well.  Some to Kirksville, some to Warrensburg, some to other places.  After graduation, most of the people I hung with during my 4 years there from my class pretty much went onto the next stage of their lives.  I still keep in touch with Lori, off and on, through out these many many years.  And now with Facebook as the meeting ground for millions of people, I have found several high school mates again and speak to some there on occasion.  Everyone's got their own lives in many different places on the planet, but many actually didn't go too far from the ole hometown.  I did get lonely with everyone dispersing and not really knowing what to do with myself that summer.  I worked my last summertime job with the City sponsored job opportunity at the U.S. Air Force recruiting office.  That's a whole other story in itself!!!

... what I didn't count on or have an inkling about was there were new beginnings, new people, new adventures awaiting me in a few short weeks after graduation.   Stay tuned for my next installment.    




My Senior Class Picture (copied from yearbook)                 

1 comment:

  1. I felt sad about leaving high school -- 45 years ago -- but no real sense of the adventures that lay ahead.

    ReplyDelete