When Life Sends You On A Journey

Thursday, April 4

Dad's Family...

Dad was 1 of 9 kids. Second youngest in the brood. He had one brother and SEVEN sisters!! Egad! Lots of girl talk in that house.

Uncle Don was older than Dad, and I knew very little about him because he lived on the other side of the state and seldom visited. I didn't realize until a couple years ago he had more than 2 kids. I don't recall meeting any of them but one who was closer to my age. Don had been married twice and had kids in both marriages. I am not sure if Dad really liked his brother. He never talked about him.

As for Dad's sisters, I have met all of them. The oldest was my Godmother, Aunt Doris. She had 4 kids, all much older than the three of us kids.  Aunt Doris and Uncle Jule had a lovely home on 4th Street and had many family get-togethers there. My favorite memories were when their eldest daughter's kids would be there, they were close in age to me and my sibs. We'd hang upstairs or on the stairs themselves and just listen to all the women chatter on below us. Unlike my Mom's family that loved to play cards; Dad's sisters like to talk and talk and talk. The fellas usually hung out in another room or maybe headed to my Uncle's wine cellar in the basement.



Two of the aunts we spent a lot of time with were Aunt Peggy (Uncle Mel) and Aunt Sallie (Uncle Don). Peggy was the neatest lady. She taught Sunday school at her Baptist church and I remember hanging with her one time in her class and coloring in pictures of Jesus and other Biblical people.  Her son played the piano and sang in all the choirs. I loved going to their house cause there (again) I found a place to play my favorite instrument. Her son and daughter again were much older than I. Rarely did you see her daughter. But her son loved hanging with the family. My Uncle owned a lot of property in town including a television repair shop. When colored TVs started being affordable he sold my parents one and the first thing we watched on it was "The Sound of Music" with Julie Andrews! My favorite musical.

Aunt Sallie and Uncle Don just has one daughter. They too had a piano at their house but I don't recall being allowed to play it. Their daughter sang as well.  I don't remember too much about Uncle Don. He was a quiet man. He unfortunately died from a brain tumor when I was a teenager I think. My Aunt I believe was lost for years after he died. Such a shame.


Dad had a younger sister Aunt Barb (Uncle Ken). They had two kids both close to my age. All very bright and all college educated. Aunt Barb was the only one of the nine to get a college degree. Her husband was a dentist, her son is a Colonel in the Army as well as a GYN doctor that specializes in womb traumas I believe. His sister is a very talented artist and has worked everywhere and traveled everywhere stateside...she's the rebel, the adventurer and athletic one in the family bar none. I have oodles more to say in later posts, but she is one I always looked up to for inspiration when I was going to college. Barb and Ken moved their family to Seattle. They divorced a long time ago.  I do remember when they visited after Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980. She brought a container of ash that spewed all over the North West. Very cool!


My sister's Godmother was Aunt Mattie (Uncle Moe).  Aunt Mattie could sew like no one else I knew in the family.  Like I mentioned in an earlier post, she would sew outfits for my sister and I.  I am sure she sewed for many people.  I know when she got arthritis and couldn't sew anymore that had to be heartbreaker for her.   She and Uncle Moe had one daughter who was a hair stylist.  She was the one that did my hair when Brian and I had our pictures taken after getting married (plenty about that time of my life in future posts).  I loved that she lived long enough to do that and visit once at our house after we married.  Sometime after that she was diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (of which one form is similar to mad cow disease).  That was a fatal disease and awful symptoms of memory loss, dementia, brain deterioration from prions.  Just horrible.  She went from vibrant woman in her 50s to a completely different person needing lots of care until she passed away several months later.  I miss my cousin Maureen a lot.  She was funny and laugh oh so much! 


Finally there were Aunt Betty Sue (Marshall) and Aunt Margie.  And for the life of me I cannot recall Margie's husband's name.  (Sorry Margie.)  I didn't see these aunts or their kids very often.  And only remembered one of their daughter's names until 2 years ago when several of us girl cousins got together and visited on a couple occasions.  I learned about cousins I didn't know I had.   I don't have many memories really of either of their families, except when my sister had her wedding shower at our home, Aunt Betty Sue was there, and possibly her youngest daughter who I now have officially met as an adult. 

Then there was Grandpa (Elmer) and his wife Mildred.  Grandpa was married twice.  First to the mother of all 9 of his children.  My Grandmother (Bessie) died from cancer, not sure which kind but probably ovarian or uterine based on what I have heard over the years.   My Dad was 9 when he lost his Mother.  And I know that upset him all his life after that.  Grandpa was left to raise several of his kids on his own, and the oldest daughters that had married by then also helped take care of the younger ones.  I believe when my Dad turned 14, Grandpa remarried.  Mildred had one son, Hugo.  I don't know anything much about Hugo.  My Grandpa was a stern man. and we visited him and Mildred often in Union and Mom and Dad would play pinochle with them.  Us kids would play outside most of the time or I'd hang out in the spare bedroom.  Mildred died in 1980, Grandpa in 1982.   Grandpa is buried near his first wife, Mildred in buried in Illinois somewhere. 

This family was pretty dysfunctional after losing their Mother but I don't know if you could blame it solely on that.  Some had less problems than others.  But I always sensed a lot of loss, secrecy, and unsettled tension when visiting sometimes at different functions.   Mostly the ones when I was a kid.  There is a lot of history to be told.  And unfortunately most of it is not pleasant.   I wish not to dwell in all that negative space.  I want to tell an honest story as I remember it, but not bring up family dysfunction of families that cannot defend themselves.  The only family I speak of intentionally and intimately is my own family of origin.  The only Aunts left living as I write this are Aunt Barb and Aunt Sallie.   My Dad and the rest of his siblings are gone and hopefully in the presence of Jesus now.  

    ..... families go through a lot of ups and downs and stress and trials, it is from this that we grow in strength, character, and learn to be the people God meant us to be.    More of this saga to be told in future posts.   Please hang in there!



My Grandpa Bacon with Mildred holding me as a baby circa 1967

2 comments:

  1. This is terrific! Looking forward to reading more.
    -g-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, G! Didn't know you were following along here. :-)

    ReplyDelete